Job title: Community Forest Officer
Organisation: Environment and Rural Development Foundation (ERuDeF)
Category: Non-Profit Ogranisation
Location/City: Dschang, West Cameroon
Reporting to: Manager of Mount Bamboutos Initiative (MBI)
Number of positions: one (1)
The Environment and Rural Development Foundation (ERuDeF) is a Cameroonian non-profit organization founded in 1999. It is the leading National Conservation Organisation in Cameroon. ERuDeF’s mission is dedicated to the conservation of biodiversity and protection of fragile environments through research, training, education and community engagement. She seeks to “Save Rainforests, Conserve Species, Impact lives”. The Mount Bamboutos Initiative (MBI), MBI is a 15 year initiative of the Environment and Rural Development Foundation (ERuDeF), International Tree Foundation (ITF) and other partners to restore the biodiversity and ecosystem functions of Mt Bamboutos while securing the livelihoods of the local and indigenous
ERuDeF is a highly intensive, academic and professional organisation with a very strong drive for excellence and multi-tasking.
Overview of Position:
The Community Forestry Officer is essential to the effective and efficient operation of the collaborative community forestry Management program within the Mt. Bamboutos Initiative. The Community Forest Officer will coordinate the adaptation and application of tools for forest enterprise creation and development, value chain assessment, cost inventory, administrative controls, benefit sharing mechanisms and legal options for enterprise development.
The Community Forest Officer will be responsible for:
- Working closely with municipal staff, mayors and traditional authorities around Mt. Bamboutos area to develop and support the community forestry programme
- Carryout feasibility studies for community forest regeneration and creation in the Mount Bamboutos area
- Follow up and ensures the creation and management of community forests
- Develops and provides guidelines for tree planting exercises within community forests
- Provide technical expertise on tree species to be planted within the community forests
- Conducts training sessions and public outreach events on community forestry
- Associate’s Degree in Community Forestry or related field of studies.
- Relevant knowledge in project management environment.
- Two (2) years of working experience in community forestry or related natural resource.
- Must be able to work in both hot and cold temperatures, and on rough terrains.
- Interpret aerial photos and soil survey maps.
- Direct field experience in small enterprise development, preferably with community forestry experience.
- High level of knowledge of local-level stakeholders, government counterparts, and private sector actors.
- High level of familiarity with domestic and regional market trends.
- Organisation and management skills
- Leadership and entrepreneur skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Attention to details
- Excellent verbal, writing, editing and presentation skills are required
- Excellent computer and internet skills
- Working together with others, relate to people, engages and builds relationships
- Drive for results
- Task completion; reliable, committed to completing tasks
- Resilience; persistent, respectful, positive and self-resilient
- Accountable; drives outcomes by taking personal responsibility
How to apply: Application files consisting of:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Referee statements
- Copies of relevant Certificates and diplomas
- A motivation letter and
- An attestation of work experience
should be addressed to the Director of Administration and Human Resources ERuDeF P. O. Box 189 Buea, South West Cameroon or by e-mail to: email@example.com