- To develop priorities and strategies for addressing relevant rural and environmental issues;
- To provide local communities with the means to efficiently manage their natural resources and to alleviate poverty;
- To develop successful and/or potentially successful strategies for mobilizing communities and people to conserve their natural resources;
- To promote women’s role in conservation and development through training and support of women programs;
- To fight against deforestation, land degradation and desertification;
- To promote alternative sustainable development strategies in rural areas including the development of alternative models of rural financing;
- To promote advocacy, education, training and information programmes that increase people’s awareness of environmental problems as well as human issues affecting environmental management and their remedies.